4. All adhesives are as safe as possible and formaldehyde free; the steel springs are recycled and no VOC finishes are used.
All these products are made in the United States:
- Wood stains used in this sofa contain zero or low Volatile Organic Compounds (definition: organic chemicals which become a gas at room temperature; includes many chemicals including, for example, formaldehyde, toluene, benzene, methane, tetrachloroethene among others); wood stains often contain benzene, toluene, xylene, and/or methylene chloride which evaporate into the air.
- Water‐based Greenguard Children and Schools Certified Simalfa adhesive is used. Formaldehyde is often used in adhesives, as is ureaformaldehyde, both of which are carcinogenic; other adhesive ingredients often include trichloroethylene, toluene, benzene.
- Steel springs are recycled.
- Steel staples are recycled.
Another point to note is that pressed wood, plywood, particle board and medium density fiberboard is usually glued together with adhesives containing formaldehyde.